Despite the strong early success of the TR2 and TR3, the Standard-Triumph company was at a crossroads by 1955, following the sudden departure of its lead stylist. Salvation came by way of a chance meeting between Harry Webster, Triumph’s Technical Director, and stylist Giovanni Michelotti, who had already created a sensation with his designs for Vignale. Shortly thereafter, Michelotti produced a finished TR prototype for Triumph within just three months before restyling the Vanguard and designing the new Herald saloon.
Next, Michelotti designed the TR4 for Triumph, which debuted in 1962 and was quickly followed by the TR250 which introduced a torquey yet incredibly smooth inline six-cylinder engine. Retaining body-on-frame construction and the six-cylinder engine of the TR250, the new TR6 debuted in January 1969 with styling by Karmann, including a dramatically revised front end and a neat Kamm-style tail panel.
The TR6 was produced until 1976, even after the new TR7 was introduced. In a 1971 road test, Road & Track described the TR6 as a “distinctive combination of qualities at a reasonable price,” praising its excellent engine, luxurious interior and easily operated folding top. Steady improvements responded to the tightening emissions and safety regulations of the United States, and when production ended, many enthusiasts regarded the TR6 as representing the end of the line for traditional English sports cars.
This car was auctioned off by RM Auctions in January of 2010 at the Arizona Biltmore Resort & Spa, Phoenix, Arizona.
2,498 cc inline six-cylinder engine with dual carburetors, four-speed manual gearbox, independent front suspension with unequal-length A-arms, coil springs and anti-roll bar, rigid rear axle with semi-trailing arms and coil springs, and hydraulic front disc, rear drum brakes. Wheelbase: 88"