Introduced in 1955 and produced until 1969, the Fiat 600 was the marque’s first rear-engine car, built along the 600 two-door sedan and the innovative Multipla, which predicted the minivan by some 30 years. While outwardly small and riding on a wheelbase just shy of 80 inches, the 600 provided remarkable passenger and luggage space, thanks to its rear-mounted inline four-cylinder engine. The updated 600D debuted in the fall of 1960 with an enlarged 767-cc engine, swiveling vent windows and additional louvers on the engine-compartment lid.
Much like the VW “Beetle” and Ford’s Model T, Fiat’s 600 mobilized millions and contributed strongly to Italy’s postwar reconstruction, with some 2.6 million examples rolling off Fiat’s Mirafiori assembly line. The 600 also enjoyed great popularity into the 1980s in Spain, where it was license-built as the Seat 600, and in Argentina as the “Fitito” (little Fiat).
This car was auctioned off by RM Auctions in March of 2011 at the Ritz-Carlton, Amelia Island, Florida.