Triple taillights tell us this is an Impala. Chevrolet wanted to be sure people knew you were driving the top-of-the-line, as lesser Chevies made do with dual taillights. The Impala name appeared for the first time in 1958 as a deluxe trim and appearance package on the Bel Air hardtop and convertible. It became a separate, top-of-the-line series in 1959.
Big news for Chevrolet in 1964 was the all-new mid-size Chevelle, but the full-size Chevrolet remained the sales leader with 1.6 million sold. After all, why mess with a good thing? As such, the big Chevy received minor changes with an update on the new-for-1963 body shell: a more rounded look with a flatter grille and redesigned rear panel.
The SS or Super Sport was considered a separate series for the first time rather than an Impala option package. In SS trim, this was one handsome car including tri-bar wheel covers; engine-turned trim on the side moldings, rear cove molding, instrument panel and console; and discreet placement of SS badges on the exterior. Of a total of nearly 890,000 Impalas built for 1964, approximately 185,000 would wear the SS badge, and 81,897 convertibles would be part of the model mix.
This car was auctioned off by RM Auctions in July of 2010 at the Shotwell Gustafson Pavilion at Meadow Brook Hall, Rochester, Michigan.
365 bhp, 327 cu. in. Turbo-Fire V8, four-speed manual transmission, independent front suspension with coil springs and concentric shock absorbers, four-link rear suspension with upper and lower control arms and coil springs, four wheel drum brakes. Wheelbase: 119"