1952 Morgan Plus 4

What’s Hot

69 Favorites 69 Comments
-

About This Car

- Quick Specs -

  • Make

    Morgan
  • Model

    Plus 4
  • Year

    1952
  • Engine

    1.9L 4-Cylinder
  • HP

    100

Morgan, the world’s oldest privately owned car company, crafted only 117 “Flat Rad” Drophead Coupes, according to automotive historian Hermen Pol. Only about 30 remain today. New York City’s Fergus Motors originally imported this original left-hand drive example, and a few years later, the original owner returned it to the Morgan works, where the Vanguard engine was exchanged for the 100-bhp Triumph TR3 unit presently fitted. For many years, a private California collector maintained and preserved the car in road-ready condition in a climate-controlled facility, using it only sparingly. Following several years of negotiation, the current owner acquired it with 319 actual miles in 2004.

Two California marque specialists carried out a re-commissioning in 2004, with work including a total mechanical evaluation, new brakes, new wiring, interior mahogany refurbishment by Madera Concepts and correct new tires on trued wheels. Carruth-Savoy cleaned and adjusted the instruments and renovated the trafficators. A run of fresh Bridge-of-Weir leather was fitted to the squabs and seat backs. The chrome was re-plated by Mickey Dupuis of Holyoke, Massachusetts. The body was disassembled, stripped and refinished in correct Oxford Blue with Obsidian wings and a Claret pinstripe by M. Limata. The body’s wooden framing was remarkably sound and virtually new. The original Blumels Brooklands steering wheel was restored as well.

A multiple concours winner since completion, the Morgan has achieved Best of Show honors twice at the Rendezvous event, as well as Best in Class at the High Hopes Classic. This exceedingly rare Morgan retains every original feature. Among them, items include a Lucas “King of the Road” driving lamp, drum mohair top, glass elliptical rear window, engraved sill plates, tool wrap and original scissor jack, period woven car cover and the original cloisonné badges, plus the rare, original chrome-framed sliding glass side windows. The car even comes complete with its Chassis Record Certificate personally signed by Peter Morgan.

This car was auctioned off by RM Auctions in March of 2011 at the Ritz-Carlton, Amelia Island, Florida.

100 bhp, 1,991 cc Triumph TR3 OHV inline four-cylinder engine, twin SU side-draft carburetors, Moss four-speed manual gearbox, sliding-pillar front suspension with coil springs, rigid rear axle with semi-elliptic leaf springs, and Girling four-wheel hydraulic drum brakes. Wheelbase: 96"

Source: RM Auctions

comments powered by Disqus