The longest continuous single series ever produced by the Ford Motor Company, with over 60 years now to its credit, the F-series pickup line began with the newly designed F-1, which was introduced in early 1948. Designers and engineers worked together cohesively to produce not only a sturdy and reliable light-duty truck but also one that looked good, was easy to service and would be instantly recognizable as a Ford product.
While the flathead V-8 was approaching its development peak by the late 1940s, Ford was still the only American light-duty truck manufacturer to offer V-8 power until the 1954 release of the Dodge C-Series pickups and Chevrolet’s 1955 “Task Force” lineup. The flathead V-8 was rapidly approaching its development peak by the late 1940s, but with its robust 100-horsepower output and legendary reliability, the choice was easy for buyers. Nearly 290,000 Ford trucks were sold in 1948 in F-1 (half-ton), F-2 (3/4-ton) and F-3 (1-ton) form, a number greater than any model year since 1929. This record of success continues through the present day, with Ford recording total sales numbering more than 33 million light and heavy-duty trucks.
This car was auctioned off by RM Auctions in October of 2010 at the Hershey Lodge, Hershey, Pennsylvania.
100 bhp, 239.4 cu. in. L-head V-8 engine with two-barrel carburetor, three-speed manual transmission, front beam axle with coil springs, live rear axle with semi-elliptic leaf springs, and four-wheel hydraulic drum brakes. Wheelbase: 114"