As many upmarket automakers struggled to retool for civilian production after the end of World War II, Cadillac emerged as the leader in the luxury market, both in style and power. Visually, the fully restyled 1948 models featured sleeker envelope styling, smooth front fenders and less-pronounced rear fenders. The company’s cars featured Harley Earl’s tailfins, inspired by the Lockheed P-38 fighter aircraft. Inside, a fully revamped interior benefited from a new instrument panel design, door moldings and trim.
For 1949, the new 331 cubic inch, overhead valve V8 engine was introduced. While its initial output was 160 horsepower, just 10 more than its predecessor, the new engine was smoother, better performing and more economical. The British magazine The Motor declared, “…the car offers astonishing value for the money. It has performance which few makes can rival, even fewer surpass, a general silence of running which many will consider unbeaten, and an ease in driving.”
This car was auctioned off by RM Auctions in March of 2009 at the The Ritz-Carlton, Amelia Island, Florida and in August of 2010 at the Portola Hotel & Spa and Monterey Conference Center, Monterey, California.
160bhp, 331 cu. in. overhead valve V8 engine, four-speed Hydra-Matic automatic transmission, independent front suspension with coil springs, live rear axle with semi-elliptic leaf springs, and four-wheel hydraulic drum brakes. Wheelbase: 126".