An unqualified design masterpiece by E.T. “Bob” Gregorie, the 1940 Ford line featured one of the most distinctive automotive designs of the immediate prewar era, with a remarkable style and flair that endures to this day. Stylistically, the single-element V-shaped grille of 1939 was broadened for improved engine cooling, with separate elements located on each side of the center grille, providing a sharp and distinctive visual identification feature.
Inside, a more modern finish in maroon and sand-colored plastic, employing Art Deco-inspired rectangular forms for the instrument panel, the optional radio and the large speaker, replaced the former wood-grained dashboard motif. Bob Gregorie’s two-spoke steering wheel design, which had earned high praise and acceptance in the 1939 Mercury, now too found its way into the Ford lineup.
The gearshift was relocated from the floor to the steering column, another modern feature that was at once more convenient for the driver and increased front-seat legroom. Ford also introduced sealed-beam headlights in 1940, finally eliminating the persistent problem of moisture degradation, with their housings also incorporating the parking lights into one single unit. The upscale Deluxe models were further distinguished from their more common brethren with bright red “Ford Deluxe” lettering within the hubcaps, offset by a set of body-colored trim rings, while a growing list of available options provided unprecedented levels of personalization for buyers.
This car was auctioned off by RM Auctions in October of 2010 at the Hershey Lodge, Hershey, Pennsylvania.
85 bhp, 221 cu. in. L-head V-8 engine, three-speed sliding gear manual transmission, Columbia two-speed rear axle, solid front axle with transverse leaf spring, ¾-floating rear axle with transverse leaf spring, and Lockheed four-wheel hydraulic drum brakes. Wheelbase: 112".