The Packard Twelve itself is remarkable. Born at the cusp of the Great Depression, it was certainly a response to the 12- and 16-cylinder Cadillacs introduced in 1930, although the seeds of the project had been planted earlier. In January 1932, Packard brought out a 12-cylinder line on two wheelbases, Models 905 and 906,z measuring 142.5 and 147.5 inches respectively.
The new car was powered by a 445.5-cubic inch V-12, making 160 bhp at 3,200 rpm. Designed by Cornelius Van Ranst, whose credits included the Cord L-29, the V-12 was originally intended for a front-wheel drive Packard, a project that proved stillborn. The engine, however, survived, transplanted to the chassis of the Deluxe Eight. A narrow, 67-degree vee, it was of unusual configuration with valves nearly horizontal, actuated by hydraulic tappets. Packard continued to build V-12s until 1939, the engine enlarged to 473.3 cubic inches in 1935. Only in 1937 were more than 1,000 made in a single year. The Twin Six name was retired after ’32, the cars thereafter called simply “Twelve.”
This car was auctioned off by RM Auctions in January of 2012 at the Arizona Biltmore Resort & Spa, Phoenix, Arizona.
175 bhp, 473.3 cu. in. L-head V-12 engine, three-speed manual transmission, independent coil spring front suspension, live rear axle with semi-elliptic leaf springs, and four-wheel power-assisted hydraulic drum brakes. Wheelbase: 139.25"