Although Ford Motor Company introduced a Commercial Roadster in 1912 – a runabout with a removable rumble seat – it was not until 1925 that a Model T pickup was added to the factory catalog. Until that time, farmers and tradesmen wanting a pickup had to fashion their own on the T’s unbreakable chassis. This was most easily done on a runabout, by removing the body aft of the front seat, but converting a touring car was not much more complicated. The forward door jambs for the rear seat furnished a good “break point” for the transition from people to cargo.
This car was auctioned off by RM Auctions in October of 2010 at the Hershey Lodge, Hershey, Pennsylvania.
20 bhp, 176.7 cu. in. four-cylinder inline L-head engine, two-speed planetary transmission, solid front axle with transverse semi-elliptic leaf spring, live rear axle with transverse semi-elliptic leaf spring, transmission brake and two-wheel mechanical drum brakes. Wheelbase: 100".
Source: RM Auctions
Photo Credit: Copyright Darin Schnabel